If you’re looking to add a contemporary yet functional coffee table to your living room, a metal frame coffee table is a fantastic option. Metal frame coffee tables seamlessly blend industrial and modern design for a versatile piece that fits well in almost any decor. With the right style and features, a metal frame coffee table can be both stylish and incredibly durable.
In this blog, we’ll cover the top 5 best-selling and highest rated metal frame coffee tables that span a variety of styles and budgets. We’ll also provide tips on how to choose the right metal frame coffee table for your needs and answer some frequently asked questions about these popular centerpiece furnishings. Let’s get started!
Top 5 Metal Frame Coffee Tables
From sleek and minimal to industrial-chic, here are 5 of the best metal frame coffee tables to consider for your living room or lounge area.
1. West Elm Mid-Century Metal Frame Coffee Table
The West Elm Mid-Century coffee table combines clean lines and slim profiles with the warm look of wood for a retro-inspired look that compliments both modern and eclectic spaces.
Design and Key Features:
- Rectangular tabletop crafted from bolivian rosewood with rounded corners
- Tapered metal legs in a brass finish for mid-century modern flair
- Two shelves perfect for storing books, magazines, remotes and more
- Large size measures 40″ wide x 20″ deep x 17.5″ tall
- Available in other wood stains like acorn and white oak
- Beautiful mid-century modern design
- Real wood tabletop with unique grain patterns
- Sturdy metal frame with anti-rust finish
- Spacious lower shelves for storage and display
- Assembly required but fairly simple
- Tabletop prone to scratches without coasters
- Metal frame and legs may show scuffs over time
- No leveling feet so floor unevenness can affect wobbling
This classic coffee table pairs well with other organic decor like woven textiles, rattan, and wood accent walls. The warm wood table top also helps soften contemporary rooms with sleek leather sofas or vibrant, colorful furniture.
The West Elm Mid-Century Metal Frame Coffee Table retails for $499-$599 depending on size and wood finish. It’s a worthwhile investment for a stylish, long-lasting focal point in your living space.
2. IKEA Lack Coffee Table
For budget-conscious shoppers looking for a basic metal and wood coffee table, the IKEA Lack table is a top contender. The affordable Scandinavian-inspired design fits right into small spaces.
Design and Key Features:
- Rectangular or square tabletops offered in black, white, or oak veneer
- Tapered metal frame with shiny chrome or black painted finish
- Minimalist design with open lower shelf for storage
- Various sizes from 17.75” x 17.75” up to 47.25” x 23.62”
- Easy tool-free assembly with provided hardware
- Extremely affordable price point
- Available in range of sizes to fit any space
- Easy to assemble and transport
- Lower shelf great for storing books, blankets, etc.
- Durable construction of solid wood veneer or particleboard
- Prone to scratches without use of coasters
- Chrome finish legs may show fingerprints
- Not as high quality materials as more expensive tables
- Only 1 year limited warranty
The simplicity of the Lack table enables it to seamlessly match a variety of decors from modern and minimalist to eclectic or farmhouse spaces. It works great as an inexpensive but stylish starter table for first apartments too.
IKEA offers the Lack coffee table in square or rectangular shapes starting at just $29.99. It provides great function for the low cost but may need to be replaced sooner than higher quality tables.
3. Crate & Barrel Parsons Rectangular Coffee Table
For an elegantly refined metal and wood coffee table, the Crate and Barrel Parsons table brings together sleek straight lines with the warmth of natural wood finishes.
Design and Key Features:
- Rectangular tabletop crafted of North American walnut veneer
- Thick clear coated metal frame with rounded corners
- Lower display shelf lined with black metal slats
- Large table size is 60” wide x 30” deep x 16” high
- Clear wax finish protects wood while highlighting natural color variations
- Beautiful mix of wood tabletop and black metal frame
- Clear wax finish is family-friendly and resists water rings
- Sturdy but lightweight frame built of tubular steel
- Sized right for large sofas and sectionals
- Easy assembly with instructions and tools included
- Walnut tabletop requires more delicate care
- Lower shelf cannot hold much weight
- Unless anchored, table may wobble on uneven floors
- High price point around $899
The simple Parsons design allows it to work in traditional living rooms but also complements more modern decor. Place it atop a shag rug to anchor an eclectic space or try it with two sleek arm chairs for a refined reading nook.
Expect to invest for the premium quality and timeless style. The Crate and Barrel Parsons Rectangular Coffee Table ranges from $699-$999 based on wood finish and size.
4. Pottery Barn Townsend Trunk Coffee Table
For a vintage-inspired industrial edge, the Pottery Barn Townsend Trunk table features a lift-top lid revealing handy storage space inside the “trunk”.
Design and Key Features:
- Rectangular mango wood top with metal reinforced corners
- Blackened steel metal base and frame with rivet details
- Removable top lifts open to reveal interior storage space
- Available in small or large sizes plus distressed gray finish
- Includes wheels on base for easy mobility around room
- Rustic warehouse chic design stands out
- Hidden storage space to tuck away clutter
- Caster wheels make moving table convenient
- Well-built with solid wood and durable metal
- Assembly is simple with instructions
- Heavy, weighing up to 75 pounds
- Open top allows dust and debris to settle inside
- May damage flooring without use of protective mat
- High price point around $499-$699
The Townsend table’s rugged yet refined look pairs perfectly with worn leather sofas and unique “found item” decor. But it also contrasts nicely against crisp white walls and tailored furnishings.
Offered in small and large sizes, expect to pay $499-$699 for this design-forward Pottery Barn coffee table. The storage space and wheels add functionality to justify the premium price.
5. Amazon Basics Metal Coffee Table
If you want an affordable basic metal coffee table without frills, the sleek minimalist design from Amazon Basics delivers on style and function.
Design and Key Features:
- Square tabletop made of tempered safety glass
- Tapered black powder coated steel frame
- Grid-shaped lower shelf for open storage
- Smaller size measures 19.7” deep x 19.7” wide x 19.7” high
- Easy tool-free assembly with detailed instructions
- Extremely budget-friendly under $50
- Easy to clean glass tabletop
- Lower grid shelf to store items out of the way
- Compact size perfect for small spaces
- Ships conveniently to your door fully assembled
- Prone to smudges and fingerprints on glass
- Thin metal frame may be less durable over time
- Table edges can be sharp if not sanded thoroughly
- Limited 1 year warranty from manufacturer
With its neutral black frame, this basic table complements any living room style from mid-century to industrial, modern farmhouse and more. The smaller size also makes it ideal as a chairside end table.
For impressive quality given the low price point, the Amazon Basics Metal Coffee Table is offered around $40-$50 with free Prime shipping. It’s the best metal and glass coffee table option if you’re on a very tight budget.
How to Choose the Right Metal Frame Coffee Table
Now that you’re familiar with some top-rated metal frame coffee table options, let’s discuss key factors to keep in mind when choosing the right one for your home:
Consider Size and Shape
Take measurements of where you plan to place the table including walkways and seating clearance. Rectangular or oval shapes best suit long sofas while square tables work well in tight spaces. For size, allow 12-18 inches of surface on all sides between the table edges and seating.
Evaluate Lift-Top vs Stationary Design
If hidden storage is important, opt for a lift-top coffee table. Just be aware the lift mechanism may make it less stable and prone to collapse hazards for kids. Stationary tabletops are simpler and more secure.
Compare Tabletop Materials
Glass, wood, and metal tabletops all have pros and cons. Glass tops are the easiest to clean but prone to smudging. Natural wood brings visual warmth but requires more care. Metal tops are incredibly durable but can feel cold and industrial.
Review Frame and Leg Construction
Examine the table base and legs for thickness, weight capacity, and durability of welded joints. Thicker, reinforced metal framing prevents wobbling and advertises care that went into construction.
Determine Needed Features
Do you want open display shelves, closed storage, lift-top, wheels, or adjustable leveling feet? Extra features increase functionality but also raise the price. Decide what’s most useful for your space.
Match Table Finish to Decor Style
Metal coffee tables range from bold blacks and brushed steel to polished chrome and brass finishes. The finish impacts the overall room aesthetic. Match large statement tables to simple furnishings and vice versa.
Set Your Budget
Entry-level tables cost $50-$250, mid-range run $250-$700, and high-end designer pieces reach $700-$2,000. Set realistic expectations for quality and longevity based on what you can afford.
Measure Room Dimensions
It’s extremely important to measure the full dimensions of your room and seating areas prior to ordering. This ensures proper fit upon arrival so you avoid return hassles.
Read Reviews and Opt for Reputable Brands
For expensive investments, stick with well-reviewed tables from brands like West Elm, Pottery Barn, and Crate & Barrel with solid return policies. Don’t sacrifice quality just for the cheapest upfront price.
Frequently Asked Questions About Metal Frame Coffee Tables
For more insight before you shop, here are answers to some of the most common questions about metal frame coffee tables:
Are metal coffee tables prone to scratching?
It depends on the metal. Softer metals like brass and copper scratch more easily than forged steel but a clear lacquer coating helps. Match table use to metal hardness.
Do metal coffee tables rust?
Rust-resistant finishes prevent rusting in indoor settings. Outdoors, look for aluminum or stainless steel. For added protection, treat your metal table yearly with a rust inhibitor.
How durable are metal coffee tables compared to wood?
Structural metal like steel is extremely durable and damage-resistant compared to natural wood. But wood surfaces better resist scratches and dents over time with careful use.
Are metal coffee tables hard to assemble?
Many quality metal frame coffee tables ship with simple tool-free assembly. Higher end tables may involve tools for a more secure construction less prone to wobbling.
Can you paint or refinish a metal coffee table?
Yes, metal coffee tables can be painted, stained, or polished at home to refresh the look. Degrease first and use a bonding primer before applying the new finish. Consider hiring a pro for best results.
The Perfect Centerpiece for Lounging
With the right metal frame coffee table anchoring your living room, you can create a stylish and multipurpose relaxation zone for family and guests. Use the tips above to browse quality coffee table brands and models with features to best suit your space and lifestyle.
Take dimensions, evaluate your storage needs, and assess which metal finishes complement your existing decor scheme. With a wide range of sizes, shapes, and designs to choose from, a metal frame coffee table makes the ultimate finishing touch for a visually appealing yet highly functional living area.