With the rise in popularity of farmhouse chic and rustic decor, wood wardrobes have made a major comeback. Their handsome distressed finishes and rugged barn door hardware add character that factory-made closet systems simply can’t match. If you’re looking to add a touch of earthy, vintage charm to your bedroom, a rustic wood wardrobe deserves serious consideration.
In this post, we’ll explore the unique appeal of rustic wood wardrobes. You’ll discover the top styles on the market, learn insider tips for choosing the right one, and get answers to frequently asked questions. By the end, you’ll be ready to bring home a handsome new focal point that adds vintage farmhouse flair.
Top 5 Rustic Wood Wardrobes
When it comes to rustic wood wardrobes, you have plenty of options. From compact organizers to expansive double-door models, there’s a design to suit any space and storage need. Here are five of our favorite picks:
1. Hampton Rustic Sliding Barn Door Wardrobe
With its distressed gray wood finish and extra-wide sliding barn doors, this wardrobe makes a serious style statement. The interior offers double hanging rods and an adjustable shelf. The roomy design provides ample storage for a master suite or guest room.
- Sliding barn door style
- Made of pine wood with gray wash finish
- Distressed details
- Two clothing rods and one shelf
- Dimensions: 72″ W x 24″ D x 90″ H
This stylish wardrobe is ideal for a bedroom with modern farmhouse or rustic loft decor. Place it along a blank wall to add focal interest. Style the interior with woven baskets, antler hooks, and faded quilts.
2. Riverbend Rustic Oak Wardrobe with Drawers
The light oak finish and evident wood grain on this wardrobe add natural rustic flair. Its tall shape provides hanging and shelf storage up top. On bottom, two smooth-gliding drawers hold sweaters, jeans, and other folded clothes.
- Crafted from solid oak with light finish
- Distressed details and hardware
- Hanging rod and interior shelf
- Two large lower drawers
- Dimensions: 36″ W x 26″ D x 72″ H
Thanks to its smaller size, this versatile wardrobe can adapt to both large and compact bedrooms. Place it in a cozy alcove or next to the bed for intimate bedroom styling.
3. Rustic Sliding Door Wardrobe with Locking Wheels
With rugged barn door hardware and wheels that lock in place, this large wardrobe brings serious rustic style. The interior features a clothing rod, tall hutch cabinet, and drawer for optimized storage. Pine wood with a rich walnut stain finish complete the rustic look.
- Sliding barn door with black hardware
- Made of pine wood with walnut finish
- Interior clothing rod and drawer
- Large hutch cabinet with rustic door
- Locking wheels for moving
- Dimensions: 50” W x 26” D x 72” H
The wheeled design of this wardrobe makes it easy to move around as needed. Use it in a master bedroom, walk-in closet, or mudroom area. Distressed details blend beautifully with vintage, farmhouse decor.
4. Rustic Shutter Door Wardrobe
Offering something a little different, this charming wardrobe has dual shutter doors on the front. They fold open to reveal a clothing rod and shelf storage inside. The doors have a gray washed pine finish and black strap hinges for a cottage look.
- Shutter door style wardrobe
- Made of pine wood with distressed gray finish
- Blackstrap hinges on doors
- Interior clothing rod and shelf
- Some assembly required
- Dimensions: 50” W x 24” D x 72” H
Place this cute wardrobe in a shabby chic or French country-style bedroom. Soft colored bedding and floral accents enhance the light cottage vibe.
5. Large Rustic Wood Wardrobe with Drawers
For ample storage space with rustic farmhouse charm, this wardrobe is a winning choice. It features two tall doors that open to reveal dual hanging rods, shelves, and five sizeable drawers. The reclaimed pine wood has a heavily distressed finish for vintage character.
- Made of reclaimed pine wood
- Heavily distressed antique gray finish
- Two doors with strap hinges
- Two interior rods and three shelves
- Five large drawers for folded clothes
- Dimensions: 48” W x 26” D x 92” H
Place this substantial wardrobe in a spacious master suite or guest room. The distressed wood and oversized shape make a bold rustic statement. Fill the interior with your entire wardrobe.
How to Choose the Right Rustic Wardrobe
With so many rustic wood wardrobes available, deciding on the right one takes some consideration:
- Measure your space – First, look at the dimensions of your bedroom and existing furniture. Make sure to leave enough room for opening doors and drawers.
- Consider your needs – Do you need room for long dresses? Shelving for sweaters? Drawers for folded clothes? Identify must-have features.
- Match your style – Look for a wardrobe design that complements your existing decor. Seek out finishes and hardware that align with your style.
- Mind the details – Examine wood types, distressing, coloring, and hardware. Make sure these details suit your taste.
- Look for quality – Check reviews and brand reputations. Seek out solid wood over composite boards.
- Compare pricing – Set a budget and weigh costs of different styles. Consider possible bargains on sale items.
- Read the fine print – Check wardrobe dimensions, weight limits, assembly requirements, and return policies.
- Envision the space – Imagine how different wardrobes could look in your actual bedroom when making the final decision.
Taking the time to weigh these factors will ensure you select the ideal rustic wood wardrobe for your space and lifestyle.
FAQs About Rustic Wood Wardrobes
What types of wood work best?
Pine, oak, cedar, and reclaimed barnwood are excellent wood types for rustic wardrobes. Pine offers affordability while oak brings durability. Fragrant cedar repels moths. Barnwood provides the most vintage, distressed look.
Can they work in small bedrooms?
Definitely! Opt for narrower wardrobes under 4 feet wide. Sliding barn doors are great for tight spaces. Place small wardrobes in unused nooks or corners to maximize every inch.
What’s the best way to clean them?
Use a soft cloth with mild soap and warm water. Avoid abrasive cleaners or excessive moisture that can damage the distressed finish. Touch up any scratches with a wood marker.
Is the hardware interchangeable?
In most cases, yes. The hardware is attached with standard screws. You can easily switch out knobs or pulls for different finishes or styles. Look for hardware that fits the rustic style.
Should I apply my own finish?
That depends on your skills and desired result. For a smooth, consistent stain, it may be best to buy a pre-finished wardrobe. If you want more customization, apply your own multi-step stain and sealer.
What’s the difference between distressed and antiqued?
Distressing mimics nicks, wear and imperfections. Antiquing involves applying a dark glaze over the top to accentuate the texture. Distressed is more rough-hewn while antiqued has an “old world” vibe.
How much weight can they hold?
Most can support 50-100 lbs on shelving. Hanging rods can handle heavier clothing weight. Look for solid hardwoods and reinforced frames for maximum durability.
Where are the best places to buy them?
Online retailers like Wayfair offer massive selections and discounts. Local furniture stores let you see pieces in person. Custom workshops on Etsy build them to order. Scout flea markets and antiques shops for true vintage finds.
Are they difficult to assemble?
Basic ready-to-assemble wardrobes involve simple attachment of sides, shelves, rods and doors. More complex pieces have multiple drawers requiring careful alignment and adjustment. Some higher-end wardrobes ship fully assembled.
How can I style them?
Add charm with baskets, floral accents, quilts and artwork. Incorporate rustic wood elements like tree stump side tables. Display pottery and vintage luggage on top. Try open front designs to showcase decor within.
The Rustic Allure of Wood Wardrobes
With their handsome grained wood and imperfections that hint at a long, rich history, rustic wardrobes impart cozy vintage farmhouse charm to any bedroom. Their solid wood construction offers durability and functionality sure to be appreciated for years to come.
Hopefully this guide has shown the beauty and versatility of rustic wood wardrobes. Taking the time to seek out the perfect one for your space will provide joy and style inspiration every time you open its doors. Just imagine the interior possibilities when you bring home one of these unique statement-making storage solutions.