Tufted ottomans are the ultimate decorative accent pieces that add both comfort and elegance to any living space. Known for their classic button or stitched detailing, tufted ottomans not only serve as useful footrests but also as stylish furniture additions that can complement a variety of home décor aesthetics.
From vintage inspired spaces to modern minimalist homes, a touch of ornamental tufting on ottomans, benches and poufs can infuse interest into both classic and contemporary room designs. The textured, dimensional look of tufted upholstery immediately draws the eye while the soft and plush seating provides a welcoming spot to rest and relax.
In this complete guide, we’ll explore the top styles of tufted leather ottomans, helpful tips for choosing the perfect one for your needs, care and maintenance basics, and answers to frequently asked questions about these gorgeous multifunctional furnishings.
Whether you’re hoping to add spare seating to a living room, a place to kick up your feet in a bedroom, or just seeking a decor upgrade, a tufted leather ottoman offers form and function. Let’s dive in to discover the possibilities with tufted ottomans!
The Top 5 Styles of Tufted Leather Ottomans
Tufted ottomans come in a delightful array of shapes, sizes and designs to suit any space. From round and cube silhouettes to long benches, there is a tufted ottoman out there for everyone’s style and needs. Here are five of the most popular categories of tufted leather ottomans to consider for your home:
1. Round Ottoman
The classic round ottoman style features a dome shape with circular tufting throughout the upholstered top and sides. Usually set on short, tapered wooden legs, these ottomans have a very traditional ornate look while still fitting seamlessly into modern spaces. Available in a range of widths from narrow to wide, round tufted ottomans can comfortably accommodate extra seating when needed. Their smaller footprint also allows them to slide easily next to chairs or sofas as a pop-up footrest. The versatile size and standard design of a round tufted ottoman enables it to blend well in family rooms, living rooms and bedrooms of all decorative styles.
2. Storage Ottoman
For those needing both seating and hidden storage space, a storage ottoman is a perfect two-in-one solution. Rectangular in shape, these upholstered ottomans have a hinged lid that lifts up to reveal ample storage room inside for everything from spare blankets and books to toys, games and media accessories. The tufted lid doubles as extra seating when closed or a foot rest when open. This makes storage ottomans ideal for family rooms, living rooms, bedrooms, dorms, nurseries and any other space where keeping things organized is helpful. Some storage ottomans feature removable tufted tops which can be swapped out to match changing décor.
3. Cube Ottoman
Cube ottomans offer a tailored, contemporary look with their square, box-like shape. Tufting adds rich texture to the top and sides. Many cube ottomans include a removable slipcover that allows you to change up the look by swapping in different upholstery fabrics and prints. The compact cube shape makes these ottomans easy to tuck beside sofas or beds as side tables. They can also be pulled out for use as a foot rest. Cube ottomans are lightweight and portable, making them an excellent option for smaller, flexible living spaces like apartments and condos.
4. Bench Ottoman
For a tufted ottoman with ample long seating, a bench style is the perfect option. Characterized by a long rectangular shape and linear tufting, bench ottomans can comfortably seat multiple people when needed. Their elongated silhouette makes them a unique coffee table replacement, and they also pair nicely at the foot of beds. Bench ottomans tend to feature decorative upholstery studs or nailheads lining the edges of the seating area for added ornamental detail. Offering substantial space to prop up feet or take a seat, a tufted bench ottoman design can make an excellent addition to bedrooms, living rooms and entryways.
Round, portable floor poufs represent the daintiest end of tufted ottomans. Offering a playful pop of color and pattern, tufted poufs make great alternative, multi-purpose seating options for bedrooms, dorm rooms, kids’ spaces, or as impromptu extra chairs. The absence of legs gives poufs a casual, inviting look that encourages plopping down onto the floor cushion. Poufs are lightweight and easy to move around to wherever they are needed most at the moment, whether supporting tired feet, providing a seat for movie night or playing host to trays of snacks. If you’re looking to add a fun, eclectic texture to a room through tufted detailing, poufs are the way to go.
With so many styles ranging from practical to purely ornamental, it’s easy to find the ideal tufted leather ottoman to suit your home. Whether you need spare seating space or just want to inject some visual interest through tufting, there is a design out there for you. Now let’s go over some helpful considerations for picking out the perfect tufted ottoman.
Tips for Choosing the Right Tufted Ottoman
Here are some handy tips for deciding which tufted ottoman style, size, color and more will be the best fit for your space and decor needs:
- Consider the ottoman’s intended use – Is it mostly for resting tired feet? Extra seating? Storage? This will help determine what shape and size works best. Long bench ottomans or larger round ottomans are great seating options, while poufs are best as foot rests. Storage ottomans offer dual hidden storage and seating functionality.
- Evaluate the amount of space you have available – Make sure to pick an appropriately sized and shaped ottoman that will fit well in the intended room without dominating the space. Measure to be sure.
- Take into account your existing furniture and overall decor style – The ottoman should feel cohesive with your current furnishings and design scheme. For example, a dainty pouf fits better in an eclectic boho space versus a large, imposing storage ottoman.
- Decide between leather vs. fabric upholstery – Leather offers more durability but fabric allows for greater variety in textures, patterns and colors. Leather is easy to wipe clean while fabrics may need professional cleaning.
- Select a color/pattern that complements your current palette – A neutral colored ottoman can blend in as a subtle accent while bold patterns make more of a statement. Coordinate or contrast the ottoman with nearby furnishings.
- Consider size, shape and tufting design – Button tufting offers ornamental detail while channel, box and other tufted designs have a different visual impact. The overall silhouette also affects the look and function.
- Evaluate quality of construction – Dovetailed joinery, reinforced corners, strong frames and durable upholstery will help the ottoman last longer. Cheaper ottomans may sag or warp faster.
- Set a budget and try to stick to it – Tufted leather ottomans span a wide range of pricing depending on size, craftsmanship and designer labels. Find the best value quality piece you can afford.
- Read reviews and shop around before deciding – Get a feel for quality and value by researching brands and styles. Be open to discovering new options.
- Try before you buy if possible – Test out ottoman seating and foot rest height and comfort in person at furniture showrooms.
Following these tips will help narrow down the endless options to the tufted leather ottoman that is just right for your unique needs and style. Next, let’s go over how to properly care for tufted ottomans to keep them looking fabulous.
Caring for Your Tufted Leather Ottoman
With the proper care and maintenance, a quality tufted leather ottoman can last for many years to come. Here are some essential care tips:
- Vacuum frequently – Regular vacuuming removes embedded dirt and dust that can wear down the ottoman over time. Use an upholstery attachment and vacuum all surfaces.
- Spot clean spills and stains quickly – Don’t let spills soak in. Gently dab the spot with a clean cloth. For stubborn stains, use a leather cleaner.
- Protect from direct sunlight – Intense sun exposure will cause upholstery to fade more rapidly. Keep the ottoman out of hot sun beams.
- Dust regularly with a soft cloth – Wipe down the ottoman weekly to remove any dust buildup on flat surfaces.
- Use leather cleaners and conditioners – For deeper cleaning, use specialized products formulated for leather or fabrics. Test in an inconspicuous spot first.
- Avoid using water or heat – Excessive water or steam can damage many ottoman materials. Check labels before attempting any deep cleaning method.
- Re-tuft buttons if needed – If buttons become loose or flattened, use needle nose pliers to tighten or replace them. DIY tufting kits are available.
- Rotate cushion frequently – Switch the orientation of removable cushions to evenly distribute wear over time.
- Fluff crushed areas – Use your hands to lightly fluff or plump any areas that get crushed down due to prolonged pressure.
- Keep away from fireplaces and heaters – The heat will dry out and crack leather and fabrics. Be mindful of placement near heat sources.
With the right care and maintenance, your tufted leather ottoman will maintain its good looks while staying wonderfully comfortable. Now let’s answer some commonly asked questions about these versatile furnishings.
Frequently Asked Questions About Tufted Ottomans
Q: Are tufted ottomans easy to assemble?
Tufted ottomans are designed for hassle-free assembly. Most arrive completely put together and ready to use immediately. Some storage ottomans may require minimal assembly like attaching the hinged lid. But overall, tufted ottomans can be set up in mere minutes, if assembly is required at all.
Q: How durable is the upholstery on a tufted ottoman?
Leather tufted ottomans are remarkably durable and built to last thanks to the inherent strength of leather. With regular care, a leather tufted ottoman can easily last 10 years or longer before reupholstering may be needed. Fabric durability depends on the type – heavy duty cottons and polyester blends hold up better than more delicate fabrics like velvet or linen that show wear faster.
Q: What’s the best way to clean a tufted ottoman?
For surface level cleaning, frequently vacuuming then using a soft cloth to wipe away dust is recommended. For deeper cleaning, always use specialized cleaners and conditioners formulated for the specific upholstery fabric, whether leather, polyester, cotton etc. Test cleaners first on an inconspicuous spot and follow label directions closely. Avoid using excessive water or heat during cleaning which can damage many ottoman materials.
Q: Can you change the look of a tufted ottoman by swapping out the upholstery?
Yes, the upholstery on some tufted ottoman styles can be replaced to give them a fresh new look. This involves reupholstering the existing internal frame. Many cube ottomans and occasional other styles will have removable slipcovers that can simply be swapped out for an easy upholstery update.
Q: What size tufted ottoman should I get for my space?
Consider the size and layout of the room you want to place it in. Make sure there will be adequate space for the ottoman itself plus ample area for people to move comfortably around it. An ottoman should be proportional to nearby furnishings – a pouf for a dorm room versus a longer bench ottoman for in front of a large sofa. Measure the space and check ottoman dimensions to find the right size fit.
Q: How can I incorporate a tufted ottoman into my room décor?
Tufted ottomans are extremely versatile and can seamlessly blend into or stand out within your room through material and color choice. Neutral leather ottomans subtly complement surrounding décor as an understated accent. Boldly patterned ottomans grab more attention. Place tufted ottomans near furnishings you want to tie them to visually and design-wise.
Q: What’s the difference between an ottoman and a pouf?
While the terms are often used interchangeably, technically ottomans have visible legs while poufs are legless floor cushions. Poufs also tend to be smaller in scale and more delicate looking compared to larger, heftier upholstered ottomans. But in general, both ottomans and poufs refer to round, upholstered foot rests or occasional seats.
Q: How can I decorate around my tufted ottoman?
Use the ottoman as a focal point to build a vignette around. Drape a throw blanket over part of the ottoman and add coordinating accent pillows. Place books, trays or baskets atop the ottoman. Cluster the ottoman with complementary side tables and chairs. Include table lamps or floor lamps nearby for ambiance. The colors and textures of your new tufted ottoman can inspire the rest of the surrounding space.
Q: Should I get a leather or fabric tufted ottoman?
Leather tufted ottomans offer unparalleled durability and easy wipe-clean maintenance. Fabric ottomans showcase more color and pattern options to personalize your space. Fabrics require more careful cleaning methods however. Consider your lifestyle, decor preferences, and current furnishings when deciding between leather versus fabric. You can always start with one style now and get the other type later on for variety!
I hope these tips and frequently asked questions have helped provide clarity on the Practical uses, stylish designs, ideal placement and proper care for tufted leather ottomans! Here is a quick recap:
- Tufted ottomans provide beautiful form and ample function as foot rests, occasional seats and storage solutions.
- Top styles range from round, cube, storage, bench and poufs – select based on your needs and room.
- Carefully vacuum and dust tufted ottomans frequently to maintain their good looks.
- Leather offers durability while fabrics allow for more colors and patterns.
- Ottomans should integrate cohesively into your existing furnishings and décor scheme.
- Read reviews and evaluate options to find the perfect fit for your space’s style and budget.
I hope this complete guide has shed light on the diverse possibilities with tufted leather ottomans! With endless shapes, sizes and designs to discover, everyone can find the ideal tufted ottoman accent to enhance their home’s comfort and décor.