Sleeping on a king size mattress can be an amazing experience. The extra room to spread out and comfortable feeling of spaciousness are hard to beat. But to truly unlock the benefits of your king bed, you need the right bed frame. The frame you choose can make or break your sleeping experience. It impacts everything from back support and mattress longevity to bedroom aesthetics and storage solutions.
With so many options on the market, deciding on a king bed frame can feel overwhelming. But it doesn’t have to be! In this detailed guide, we’ll walk you through everything you need to consider when choosing a frame for your king mattress. You’ll learn about different materials, designs, features, and more so you can find your perfect match. Let’s get started!
What to Look for in a King Size Bed Frame
When evaluating king bed frames, there are a few key factors you’ll want to consider:
The most common king mattress dimensions are 76 inches wide by 80 inches long. When choosing a frame, you’ll want to match those measurements as closely as possible to prevent the mattress from sliding around. Some frames are slightly smaller than the mattress size—this can work, but just make sure there’s no more than a few inches difference on any side. You want a solid, stable base for your mattress.
California king mattresses are a bit different, coming in at 72 inches wide by 84 inches long. Again, try to get a frame that fits those dimensions. Just make sure you know whether you have a standard or California king before shopping!
King bed frames come in a variety of different materials, each with their own aesthetic and structural properties. Here’s an overview:
- Wood – Classic material that offers natural beauty, stability and durability. Watch for creaking or cracking of joints over time.
- Metal – Affordable option that’s lightweight yet sturdy. May produce noise when moving around on it.
- Upholstered – Padded headboards and footboards provide a soft, elegant look. Less structurally solid than other materials.
- Platform – A popular modern style made from wood, metal or a combo. Provides space underneath for storage.
Consider factors like cost, weight, durability, and style when deciding on a material. A sturdy, stable frame is key for proper mattress support.
Design and Features
Beyond the overall construction, king frames come in different designs and offer useful features:
- Headboards – Come in a range of heights and shapes. Provide aesthetic appeal and a place to sit up against.
- Footboards – Less common than headboards but an option for complete bed framing.
- Storage – Some frames have handy under-bed drawers for storing linens and clothing. Great for maximizing space!
- Adjustable – Let you elevate head and/or foot section. Helpful for comfort and conditions like acid reflux.
- Specialty features – Things like lighting, USB ports, and built-in outlets take frames to the next level.
Consider which features would improve your sleep experience or bedroom functionality when choosing a frame.
King size bed frames span a wide range of price points, from under $250 to over $2,500. In general, more money buys higher quality materials, construction and features. But you can find solid wood platforms for under $500 and functional metal frames for under $200. Set realistic expectations based on your budget.
Higher end mattress companies like Tempur-Pedic also manufacture bed frames. These are designed to perfectly pair with their mattresses but come with luxury price tags. Wayfair, Amazon and furniture stores offer more affordable frames from a mix of brands. Do some research to find brands known for quality construction.
Pros and Cons of Different King Bed Frame Types
To help narrow your options, here’s an overview of the unique pros and cons associated with major frame types:
Wood Bed Frames
- Timeless, classic look
- Very stable and supportive
- Long-lasting when made from quality wood
- On the pricier side
- Can be heavy and cumbersome
- May creak over time
Metal Bed Frames
- Very affordable option
- Lightweight for easy moving
- Sleek, modern aesthetic
- Not as sturdy or sound-absorbing as wood
- Minimal style – just the frame
- Prone to noise like squeaking and rattling
Upholstered Bed Frames
- Padded, sometimes tufted headboards provide a luxurious look
- Softer than wood or metal
- Often available in beautiful fabrics
- More difficult to assemble
- Less durable than wood or metal
- Material may sag over time
Platform Bed Frames
- Space underneath for storage
- Streamlined, contemporary design
- No need for a box spring
- Mattress options limited by platform height
- Hard, flat surface not for everyone
- Difficult to use an adjustable base
Adjustable Bed Frames
- Allow you to elevate head and foot sections
- Alleviate issues like acid reflux or edema
- Customizable positions for comfort
- Much more expensive than basic frames
- Moving parts prone to breakdowns
- Require compatible mattress with flexibility
Tips for Picking the Perfect King Bed Frame for You
Ready to go frame shopping? Keep these tips in mind to find your ideal match:
- Measure your bedroom – Before you fall in love with a frame, make sure it will actually fit in the space. Leave enough room to move around it comfortably.
- Prioritize stability – A quality frame that adequately supports your king mattress is a must. Avoid flimsy constructions prone to wobbling or creaking.
- Consider your mattress height – Do you want your mattress set close to the ground on a platform? Or up higher with storage room underneath?
- Match your decor – Choose a frame design and material that aligns with your overall bedroom style. It is a big focal point after all!
- Accommodate future mattresses – Make sure the frame you select will work with any future mattress upgrades or replacements down the road.
- Try frames in person – There’s no substitute for testing out comfort and construction. Shop showrooms to get a feel for options.
- Read reviews – Learn from other real customers’ unbiased experiences with specific king size bed frame models. Both good and bad.
- Watch for sales – While you shouldn’t sacrifice quality for cost, you can time furniture sales to get deals on higher end frames.
5 Top-Rated King Bed Frames
If you’re still unsure where to start, here are 5 highly rated king bed frames to consider:
1. Zinus Upholstered Platform Bed Frame
- Frame Type: Upholstered platform
- Materials: Steel frame with wood slats, polyester padded headboard
- Key Features: Minimalist design, soft padded headboard, no noise
- Price Range: Under $300
- Reviews: 4.5 stars on Amazon
This functional platform frame provides 12 inches of storage space under the bed. The beige padded headboard adds softness and style to the streamlined steel construction. It’s a budget-friendly king frame that still offers quality and comfort.
2. Thuma The Bed
- Frame Type: Wood platform
- Materials: Japanese honeycomb panels, solid wood
- Key Features: Easy 5 minute tool-free assembly, ethically sourced wood
- Price Range: $799 – $999
- Reviews: 4.9 stars on Thuma’s website
Thuma’s platform bed frame features innovative Japanese joinery techniques for simple assembly. The result is a surprisingly sturdy frame without screws or hardware. Made from ethically sourced woods with high end craftsmanship.
3. Nectar Premier Copper Bed Frame
- Frame Type: Upholstered adjustable
- Materials: Solid wood, upholstery fabric, copper-infused memory foam
- Key Features: Adjustable head and foot, copper-infused foam headboard, massaging lumbar support
- Price Range: $999 – $1199
- Reviews: 4.5 stars on Nectar’s website
Take your king frame to the next level with Nectar’s adjustable Premier frame. Gorgeous fabric upholstery, copper-infused memory foam, massaging lumbar support, and adjustable positioning provide the ultimate luxurious sleep experience.
4. West Elm Mid-Century Bed Frame
- Frame Type: Wood platform
- Materials: Solid wood, acacia veneer
- Key Features: Variety of wood finishes, timeless mid-century design
- Price Range: $899 – $1999
- Reviews: 4.4 stars on West Elm’s website
West Elm’s Mid-Century bed frames evoke chic ’50s and ’60s style but work in just about any decor. With options from rich walnut to light acacia, minimalist sloped leg design, and exceptional craftsmanship, it’s a standout choice.
5. Tempur-Pedic Adjustable Bed Power Base
- Frame Type: Adjustable base
- Materials: Steel frame, wood support
- Key Features: Upper body and lower body adjustability, massage, USB ports
- Price Range: $1699 – $2199
- Reviews: 4.4 stars on TempurPedic’s website
Tempur-Pedic’s adjustable bed frame is the ultimate splurge. It lets you find your ideal sleeping position with customizable head and foot positioning. Special features like massage, lighting, and USB ports transform your bedroom into a smart sanctuary.
Frequently Asked Questions
Still have some questions about choosing the perfect king size bed frame? Here are answers to some common queries:
Do you need a box spring with a king frame?
- It depends on the type of frame. Platform beds usually don’t require box springs. But standard framed king beds often do benefit from the extra support.
How much weight can a king frame hold?
- Most quality king frames can support between 500-1000 lbs. Higher end frames made with premium materials often have higher weight limits.
What’s the difference between king and California king sizes?
- California king mattresses are 4 inches narrower but 4 inches longer than standard king mattresses. California kings are ideal for taller individuals who need more leg room.
How high should a king headboard be?
- Headboard heights typically range anywhere from 16 inches to 60 inches above the mattress surface. The ideal height comes down to your body height and personal preference.
Do king frames come with slats?
- Some do, some don’t. Bed slats or foundations provide important structural support for your mattress. If your frame doesn’t include slats, you’ll need to purchase compatible ones separately.
Give Your King Mattress a Frame Worthy of Royalty
A king size mattress represents a significant investment in your comfort and well-being. So doesn’t it deserve an equally exceptional frame? By taking the time to understand different materials, features, and pricing, you can find the perfect base for your king bed.
Keep quality craftsmanship, stability, and design in mind as you shop. And don’t be afraid to test options in person. Finding a frame that ticks all your boxes will take your luxurious king bed to the next level. Just imagine the amazing sleep you’ll enjoy each night!