Have you ever walked through a lavish hotel lobby and been drawn to the beautiful indoor fountain as a centerpiece? The gentle babbling of water creates an oasis of tranquility amidst an otherwise hectic world. Installing a fountain in your home can provide the same ambiance and benefits for a remarkably affordable price.
Indoor fountains run the gamut from simple tabletop fountains under $50 to stunning multi-tiered stone sculptures costing well over $10,000. With such a vast range of sizes, styles, and prices, how do you choose the perfect fountain for your space?
In this guide, we’ll overview the top features to look for in an indoor water fountain, provide tips on selecting a fountain to match your home’s style and size, and answer frequently asked questions to ensure your purchase is a lasting joy. A properly chosen fountain can enhance your home’s beauty and become a beloved focal point for years to come.
Top 5 Most Desirable Indoor Fountain Features
While simple fountains just contain recirculating water, today’s designs incorporate many impressive features to delight the senses. Here are the top traits that make indoor fountains truly captivating centerpieces:
1. Fountain Material
Indoor fountains today are crafted from varied beautiful materials like stone, ceramic, glass, metals, and more. Each material lends unique aesthetic qualities.
Stone fountains made of granite, marble, or slate provide a refined yet earthy, natural style perfect for a rustic or Mediterranean interior. The natural variations in the stone create beautiful one-of-a-kind designs. Stone stands up well to the waterfall flows.
Ceramic fountains glazed in vibrant colors from azure to crimson suit Art Deco or Southwestern style homes. The smooth glazed finish allows water to cascade beautifully down the contours.
Glass fountains offer a distinctly modern vibe with their gleaming surfaces and ability to transmit light. For contemporary interiors, nothing beats the shine of water flowing over glass.
Metals like copper or stainless steel lend industrial flair, especially in loft-style homes. The patina of copper offers gorgeous vintage appeal as it naturally ages. Stainless steel provides sleek lines and impressive durability.
When choosing a material, consider factors like durability and weight. For example, stone and ceramic fountains tend to be quite heavy, especially in larger sizes, so you’d need a sturdy base to support them. Glass requires more careful handling but visually lightens up a space.
2. Fountain Size
Indoor fountains span a huge spectrum of sizes to suit any space:
- Tabletop fountains under 20 inches work perfectly as desktop accents. The soothing sound can increase focus and productivity.
- Medium fountains ranging from 2 feet to 4 feet tall make great floor focal points in bedrooms, living rooms, and studies.
- Large fountains over 4 feet tall make dramatic statements in open floor plan great rooms, dining rooms, and lobby areas. Their commanding presence fills the space.
To choose the right size, first measure the dimensions of the room or area for the fountain. Make sure you allow open floor area around the fountain – at least 18 inches clearance on all sides, or up to 3 feet for very large fountains. Having breathing room prevents the fountain from feeling crammed or overwhelming.
For wall-mounted fountains, check that you have adequate wall space to accommodate the full width and height. Leave some open wall area above and around the fountain so it doesn’t appear squeezed in.
3. Water Flow Style
The fountain’s water itself provides soothing sights and sounds. Designers offer amazing creativity when it comes to the water flow styles:
- Laminar flow fountains emit glassy, unbroken streams for a contemporary vibe. These sleek waterfalls almost appear to defy gravity.
- Bubbling urn fountains send gentle gurgling out from a spout into a pooling basin below. The soft babbling is wonderfully relaxing.
- Waterfall fountains have streams cascading down tiered levels like natural rocky waterfalls. The descending flow and ripples provide lively auditory and visual motion.
- Misting fountains release a very fine spray that seems to float whimsically through the air before settling in the basin. The delicate mist provides a calming ambiance.
Consider which water flow aesthetics and sounds appeal to you and match your interior design style. Do you prefer the lively splash of waterfalls or the serene tranquility of mist?
4. Special Fountain Features
Many fountains incorporate special features that enhance their beauty and function:
- Illumination – Backlighting or interior lights accentuate the mesmerizing water movement. The glow adds dramatic ambiance in a dim room.
- Sculptural accents – Decorative elements like granite balls, glass blossoms, or copper leaves provide artistic detail. They reflect ripples of light.
- Planters – Side bowls filled with greenery complement the water with soothing nature. Automatic irrigation systems water the plants.
- Filtration systems – Multi-stage filtration keeps the fountain water pristine and clear. Less maintenance is needed.
- Air purification – Some fountains double as air purifiers to enhance wellness benefits. They actively filter dust and allergens from the surrounding air.
Based on your budget, room size, and personal taste, decide which extras would provide the most value and pleasure for your home.
5. Easy, Low-Maintenance Design
While all fountains require basic periodic cleaning, today’s designs offer many features that minimize maintenance:
- Self-contained water circulation keeps water moving through the fountain without requiring frequent refills.
- Automatic water level sensors maintain the optimum water capacity at all times so the fountain never overflows or runs dry.
- Anti-microbial treatments prevent algae and bacterial buildup that can dirty fountain water.
- Dishwasher safe components make cleaning mineral deposits and clogs very convenient.
- LED lighting prevents calcium and other mineral deposits that regular bulbs attract.
- Submersible pumps are more reliable and less prone to clogging than older style exposed pumps.
- No electric parts means pump-free hydropower fountains have fewer components to wear out.
The easier a fountain is to care for, the more you’ll be able to relax and enjoy its soothing presence!
How to Choose the Right Indoor Fountain for Your Home
Now that you know which features to look for, let’s explore tips for choosing an indoor fountain to perfectly suit your space and style.
Set Your Budget
Indoor fountains vary tremendously in price. Consider how much you can comfortably allocate:
- Small tabletop fountains under 20 inches tall start around $50-$150.
- Well-constructed medium floor fountains 2-4 feet tall generally run $150-$500.
- Large statement fountains over 4 feet tall range from $500 to over $10,000 for towering hand-crafted pieces.
Setting a clear budget prevents “sticker shock” from falling in love with a fountain outside your price range!
Consider Room Size
The fountain should fit the room both dimensionally and visually.
A tiny tabletop fountain will get dwarfed and lost in a large open concept great room. Conversely, an imposing 6 foot wide stone fountain may overwhelm a small bedroom.
Take measurements to find a size that’s scaled appropriately. Allow enough open floor space around the fountain for traffic flow. Wall fountains should have breathing room around the edges.
Decide on Desired Features
Based on your budget and space, decide which features matter most to you. For example:
- Does the material need to match your decor – sleek glass for modern, natural stone for rustic?
- Do you prefer cascading waterfall style flow or peaceful mist?
- Are extras like lighting, air purifying, or greenery important?
This will narrow down the choices significantly.
Match Style to Your Decor
Select a fountain that integrates beautifully with your existing furniture and architecture. A sleek modern glass fountain will seem out of place in a cozy cottage living room. Make sure to coordinate the shapes, lines, materials, and detailing.
Fountains come in endless variations to match any style – traditional, contemporary, transitional, coastal, rustic and more. You can certainly find one that complements your interior.
Review Technical Specifications
For floor and wall models, read the technical specs closely to ensure the fountain will function properly:
- Pump flow rate and type – powerful enough to match the fountain size? Submersible safety?
- Overall weight – is your floor or wall strong enough to support it?
- Water capacity – reservoir size adequate?
- Electrical requirements – standard outlet or hardwired?
- Plumbing connections – does it need drainage?
Don’t overlook these technical considerations.
Read Product Reviews
The best way to understand pros and cons of real-world use is reading customer reviews. Look for reviews on:
- Manufacturer websites
- Retailer sites like Amazon or Wayfair
- Independent review blogs and YouTube channels
You’ll gain transparency on noise levels, ease of setup, materials quality, durability, and overall value. Beware fancy marketed photos – rely more on hands-on reviews.
Purchase from a Reputable Company
With major purchases, it pays to buy from established retailers and manufacturers who stand behind their products with guarantees, warranties, and customer support.
Large general retailers like Amazon or Walmart offer convenience and broad selection. Specialty stores like Design Within Reach provide curated high-end options. Individual manufacturers like Alpine Corporation sell direct online.
A reputable company ensures you get a quality, properly functioning fountain you’ll enjoy for years!
Frequently Asked Questions About Indoor Fountains
Here we’ll answer some of the most common inquiries of indoor fountain shoppers.
What are the benefits of an indoor fountain?
Indoor fountains provide numerous advantages:
- Natural ambiance – The tranquil sights and sounds bring beautiful flowing water indoors year-round to enjoy. The babbling and splashing is wonderfully soothing.
- Stress relief – Studies show exposure to the gentle water sounds lowers anxiety, heart rate, and stress. The fountain becomes a peaceful retreat.
- Air purification – Fountains naturally filter dust and allergens from the surrounding air as water molecules attract then trap particles. Some fountains also have built-in air purifiers.
- Aesthetic appeal – As centerpiece decor, an indoor fountain adds sophisticated beauty to any space. The soft lighting and fluid motion become an elegant focal point.
How do I determine what size fountain fits best?
Choose a fountain scaled to fit proportionately within your room’s physical dimensions.
On desks – Opt for tabletop fountains under 20 inches tall. They won’t obstruct your workspace.
Medium rooms – Floor fountains 2-4 feet tall make great living room or bedroom accents.
Grand open spaces – For high ceilings like lobbies, larger than 6 feet tall makes a statement.
Make sure to allow open space around the fountain so it doesn’t feel crowded. Leave several feet clearance for traffic flow.
What fountain types have the easiest maintenance?
Look for these convenient features to minimize fountain upkeep:
- Self-contained circulation – Closed-loop fountains require less refilling than exposed bath styles.
- Automatic water sensors – These maintain proper levels at all times so it won’t overflow or drain.
- Anti-microbial additives – These prevent unsightly algae and bacteria buildup in the water.
- Dishwasher-safe parts – Makes cleaning mineral deposits and clogs much easier.
- LED lighting – Prevents calcium and other sediment that regular bulbs attract.
- Powerful submersible pumps – Less prone to clogging than exposed pumps.
- No electric parts – Pump-free hydropower fountains eliminate electric components to wear out.
What placement ensures good feng shui?
Follow these tips for optimal feng shui:
- Place beside solid walls, not partitions. This allows chi energy to flow properly.
- Position diagonally from entry doors rather than directly in line.
- Select round or square styles which symbolize harmony and stability.
- Locate in wealth, health, or wisdom areas of the home to amplify those energies.
- Choose materials like wood, ceramic, or crystals that increase positive chi.
- Direct water flow toward the center of home to draw in nourishing energy.
Bring Tranquil Flowing Water Home
Indoor fountains provide immense benefits for mind, body, and spirit when you choose the right style for your space. Keep these tips in mind:
- Select durable, easy-care materials that complement your decor.
- Find a proportional size for the room and allow adequate space around it.
- Decide which special features like lights or air purifying matter most.
- Read reviews to understand real-world benefits and drawbacks.
- Buy from reputable retailers for quality assurances.
Apply these guidelines to find your perfect fusion of form and function – an indoor fountain that enhances your home with beauty, sound, and elegance for years of enjoyment. Let the serenity begin!